October is more than half over and while we would come to expect fall and Halloween sales mostly, the coronavirus — among other factors — has caused this month to look different than years past. For one thing, after months of delay, Amazon Prime Day 2020 finally took place last week — and competitors like Target, Walmart and Wayfair ran their counter sales. And while we would normally expect big sales to ramp up come Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it seems that holiday shopping and related sales have subsequently kicked off early this year.
What to buy in October and what can wait
During October, you’ll find fall produce, including apples, butternut squash and pumpkins, at discounted prices across grocery stores, which Bonebright noted could make for a fun pickling or canning activity given our current circumstances (and only if you can do so safely). And with Halloween coming up, we can also expect to see discounts on costumes. Although Bonebright noted that Nov. 1 is technically the time to save the most on a costume, we should see discounts and coupons in the last couple weeks leading up to Halloween. As many people may be opting out of trick-or-treating this year due to the continued spread of coronavirus, it’s more likely Halloween-centric stores will have a larger supply of costumes closer to the holiday. Plus, if you’ve been eyeing a new car, now may be the time to upgrade as October is a month of clearance for car dealerships anticipating new models. However, Bonebright suggested waiting until the end of the month as “sales people will be more likely to make a deal to meet their monthly quotas.”
While shoppers can expect to find savings on a wider range of products, including small appliances, select tech and clothing, Bonebright urged shoppers to save some cash for Black Friday, too, which we may be seeing earlier this year than ever before. Specifically, Bonebright advised shoppers to wait until Black Friday or later to purchase TVs and the Apple iPhone 12. Bonebright also suggested waiting to invest in gift cards since we’ll most likely see superior deals in December. “You can leave the gift cards as a last-minute pre-Christmas purchase,” he said.
What stores are having big sales right now
Amazon held its annual Prime Day sale on Oct. 13 and 14 featuring deals on everything from tech and wellness to style and home and kitchen items. While the two-day sale event has ended, we found some deals that are still live included bestsellers like Apple’s AirPods Pro.
While there were many short-term sales taking place during Amazon’s Prime Day event, below are active sales we’ve rounded up during the rest of October.
- Abercrombie & Fitch is offering 40-60 percent off select women’s and men’s items sitewide through Oct. 21, as well as up to 50 percent off all clearance items at Abercrombie Kids.
- AeroGarden is offering 20 percent off sitewide, including gardens, seed pod kits and accessories with code GREEN20.
- Aeropostale is giving you 50 to 70 percent off sitewide.
- Belk is giving you daily deals like an extra 65 percent off select brands.
- Costco is providing up to $150 off select Dyson items, including the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Link HP02.
- The Disney Store is offering up to 50 percent off select costumes and costume accessories for a limited time.
- Glossier is providing sales on select sets including 30 percent off The Fully Glossed Look, 20 percent off The Core Lip Collection and 19 percent off The Milk Jelly Cleanser and Futuredew.
- Keurig is offering 25 percent off beverages, plus either 50 percent off coffee makers or a free K-Mini Plus Coffee Maker as a part of the Keurig Starter Kit.
- Kohl’s is offering up to 80 percent off clearance items.
- Lenovo is giving you up to 68 percent off doorbuster items, including select PCs, desktops, laptops and more.
- Lord and Taylor is offering 40 to 60 percent off sitewide.
- Lowe’s is offering up to $500 off select appliances with the applicable promo code through Oct. 21, as well as up to 76 percent off select smart home items.
- Macy’s is providing 40-60 percent off select items sitewide through Oct. 31.
- Nordstrom is giving you up to 60 percent off clearance items.
- Nordstrom Rack is offering up to 65 percent blankets and throws and up to 50 percent off sanitizers and air purifiers.
- Olympia Sports is offering up to 50 percent off select fleece, nike footwear and outdoor footwear and essentials, as well as up to 80 percent off select apparel and up to 40 percent off crocs.
- REI is offering up to 40 percent off select items from Patagonia, Arc’teryx, The North Face, Columbia, prAna and more during their Fall Sale through Oct. 26.
- Sephora is giving you a free October Sample Bag with code YOURCHOICE when you spend $50 while supplies last.
- SkinCareRX is giving you 25 percent off all Fall skincare essentials from Oct. 17 through Oct. 26.
- SkinStore is offering 20 percent off plus a free gift with code REFRESH.
- STATE Bags is offering up to 75 percent off select items during its Warehouse Sale.
- Target is providing up to 20 percent off select shoes and up to 25 percent off home items.
- Ulta is giving you up to 50 percent off haircare essentials from Oct. 4 through Oct. 24.
- Uniqlo is offering up to $70 off select items sitewide.
- Walmart is offering up to 50 percent off toys.
- Wayfair is providing sales on Halloween- and Fall decor, as well as up to 60 percent off select furniture, kitchen, bedding and more during their Holiday Sale.
- Williams-Sonoma is offering an extra 20 percent off clearance with code EXTRA.
- Wilsons Leather is offering an extra 40 percent off sitewide with code WL40.
Best deals to shop right now
The Echo Dot is a great option if you’re looking to gain access to Alexa but don’t need the large speakers. You can use it to conveniently check the weather, make phone calls and adjust smart home controls. Additionally, it’s compact, more affordable than the Echo and comes in a variety of colors, including Sandstone and Plum. And if you want an upgrade from this model, consider the all-new Echo Dot (4th Gen) — which is not on sale.
If you’re looking to upgrade your wireless headphones, consider the Beats Solo Pro. They feature 40 hours of battery life and are ergonomically designed for comfort. They also include active noise cancelling technology to block out distractions and transparency mode and help you hear your surroundings. You can get them in a number of colors, including Red, Light Blue and Black.
If you or a loved one could use a new pair of loafers, check out this Johnston & Murphy option. It features a classic design with white stitching for added detail and is made from leather upper and textile lining. Additionally, it included a cushioned footbed for comfort. If you prefer a more casual look, consider the Keating Sneaker.
If you’re in the market for a new TV stand, consider this Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse option. It features a rustic and simple design and sports barn-style doors with metal embellishments. Additionally, it can hold TVs up to 65 inches and includes plenty of space for storing gaming consoles and accessories, cords and more. Plus, it comes in a range of colors, including White Oak and Stone Gray.
If you’re looking for an air fryer, toaster or food warmer, consider this countertop oven by Ninja Foodi. It features a sleek design and can also roast, broil, bake and more. Additionally, it comes with a large enough cooking space to make a 13-inch pizza and preheats in one minute. Plus, you can flip it to stand vertically after use for additional counter space.
The Ecovacs N79S vacuum cleaner comes with multiple settings, such as automatic mode and max mode for cleaning tougher messes. For convenience, it features voice controls via Alexa and Google Assistant. You can also use the smart app to access over five features including scheduling, cleaning modes, status updates and more. Plus, it includes up to 110 minutes of battery life.
If you or your kids are in back-to-back meetings or classes, you may want to invest in a webcam. This AUKEY option features HD video and built-in stereo microphones. You can clip it on a computer monitor or laptop, as well as stand it on a desk. To use, you can connect the device via a USB port and it’s compatible with select Windows, Mac and Android systems.
More shopping guides and recommendations
Catch up on the latest from NBC News Shopping guides and recommendations and download the NBC News app for full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak